Retirement Benefits

Navigating Your CalPERS Membership: Your Top Questions Answered


Learning the ins and outs of your CalPERS benefits can sometimes feel overwhelming. To help you manage your membership, we’ve answered a few of the most common questions we receive from our active members. Whether you’re seeking guidance on scheduling appointments, taking a class, or understanding the retirement process, you’ll find information and links to resources below. Let’s get started!

How do I schedule a counseling appointment?

We offer several types of appointments to serve our members from service credit to retirement planning. To schedule an appointment, log in to myCalPERS and select the Education tab, then Appointments. Or call us during business hours at 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377). Appointments are available by phone, video, or in person at our Headquarters & Regional Offices located throughout the state.

How do I enroll in a supplemental savings plan?

Depending on your employer, you may be able to enroll in other supplemental savings products such as the CalPERS 457 Plan, 403bCompare, ScholarShare College Savings Plan, and those offered through Savings Plus. Our Deferred Compensation webpage has the information you need to find the best savings plan for you.

Do I need to take a class to apply for retirement?

You’re not required to take a class to apply for retirement, but we strongly encourage it. Our classes provide you with a basic understanding of your benefits, help you prepare for retirement, and explain the retirement application. Take advantage of our events, classes, and webinars!

What’s the difference between disability and industrial disability retirement?

If you have a disabling injury or illness that prevents you from performing your usual job duties with your current employer, you may be eligible for disability or industrial disability retirement. A disability retirement is an injury or illness that doesn’t need to be job related, while an industrial disability retirement is due to a job-related injury or illness.

Learn more about retirement benefits.

Where can I find a form online?

Visit our Forms & Publications webpage to browse, download, or print any form, publication, or other documents you may need.

How do I correct or change my name or address?

If you move or change your name or contact information for any reason, notify your employer and update your CalPERS records.

As an active member, you must change your name through your employer, unless you’re also receiving a monthly benefit through CalPERS.

Visit our webpage to learn more.