News & Events

When Disaster Strikes

Are you a CalPERS member who’s been impacted by the recent wildfires or another natural disaster? Here are some helpful resources to make sure you can access your health care and benefits during this difficult time.

Access Your Health Care

To ensure members who’ve been impacted or displaced due to a disaster continue to have access to their health care, can find out-of-area health care, replace missing medical IDs, and more, we’ve asked our health plans to provide answers to the following frequently asked questions:

  • If I am displaced or sheltering at home how do I access routine or urgent care?
  • How will my health plan ensure that my care will be covered during this emergency?
  • If my health plan ID card is missing, how can I get it replaced?
  • How can I update my permanent or temporary address?
  • How can I access my prescriptions?

These questions are answered on our FAQs: Accessing Health Care During a Disaster.

Register for myCalPERS

myCalPERS is your gateway to conduct business electronically with CalPERS and access real-time details about your CalPERS account. If you don’t already have a myCalPERS account, now is the time to set one up. Visit Using myCalPERS for step-by-step instructions on how to register for your account today.

Here are just a few benefits of setting up your account:

  • Message us safely and securely with your personal account questions.
  • Print retiree benefit and tax statements.
  • Run a retirement estimate or apply for retirement online.
  • View Open Enrollment information and find health plans available in your area.

Update Your Mailing Address

If you’ve been displaced, ensure we have your current contact information by following the instructions below based on your membership type.

Active Employees: Notify your personnel office of your address change and they will update your information with us.

Retirees: If you have your monthly benefit payment mailed to your home, notify us of your new address as soon as possible. Use one of the options below to let us know:

  • Change your address online by logging in to myCalPERS.
  • Contact us by phone at 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377).
  • Download, complete, and return an Address Change Authorization (PDF) form by mailing or faxing it to the number shown on the form.
  • Send us your new address in writing to:
    Retirement Benefit Services Division
    P.O Box 942716
    Sacramento, CA 94229-2716

Find out more about Name or Address Changes.

Set Up Direct Deposit

Maybe you’re unsure of where you will be staying the night, or mail service has been delayed. The best way to ensure you receive your payment is by setting up direct deposit. Follow the instructions below.

Active Employees: Contact your personnel office or financial institution.

Retirees: We offer direct deposit to ensure your monthly benefit payments are securely deposited at your financial institution.

There are two ways to sign up for direct deposit:

Once we receive your form, we’ll send you a confirmation letter. If there’s a problem with your form, we’ll return it within approximately two weeks along with a letter explaining what we need.

Run a Retirement Estimate or Apply for Retirement Online

Thinking about retiring? Use the Retirement Estimate Calculator to get an idea of what your monthly benefit might be to be sure you’re ready to retire. You can access the calculator two ways:

The Retirement Estimate Calculator is intended to provide only an estimate of your future retirement benefits. Your actual retirement benefit will be determined when you formally apply for retirement based on the California Public Employees’ Retirement Law and federal tax law.

You can apply for service retirement online, or by mail. To file electronically, log in to myCalPERS. Go to the Retirement tab, select Apply for Retirement, and follow the steps for submitting your application and required documents online to CalPERS.

There are several benefits to filing for retirement electronically:

  • Securely submit your application anytime, 24 hours a day.
  • Complete the online application at your convenience — start and return at any point to complete it.
  • Prior to submission, review and edit your information.
  • Receive confirmation that your application has been successfully submitted.
  • Submit additional required documents online.
  • Use the Electronic Signature to eliminate the notary requirement for the member signature.

For step-by-step instructions on filling out a paper service retirement application, review the Service Retirement Election Application (PUB 43) (PDF) or take the online Member Education class, Completing Your Retirement Application.

If you need additional assistance, you may schedule an appointment by phone. Simply log in to your myCalPERS account and select the Education tab or call us during business hours at 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377).

Submit your completed retirement application and required documents by mail to the address listed on the form. Be sure to keep a copy of all the documents submitted for your own record.

Additional Disaster Assistance Recovery Resources

Here are a few additional resources available to help Californians get back on their feet:

Still Have Questions? Contact Us

We’re here to help. If you don’t have access to myCalPERS, have questions about your retirement application, or just have additional questions that you can’t find the answers to here, call us.

Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
We’re closed on state holidays.
Phone: 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377)
TTY: (877) 249-7442
Fax: (800) 959-6545
International Calls: +1 916-795-3000

For personal account questions, log in to myCalPERS and send your questions through our secure Message Center.