Over the years, our new members have asked for a quick overview of our pension plan and benefits, written in plain language with “just the facts.” Now the wait is over! We’ve listened to you, and we’ve answered the most common questions in our three new member publications:
- Welcome to CalPERS: A Benefits Guide for School Members (PUB 3) (PDF)
- Welcome to CalPERS: A Benefits Guide for State Members (PUB 4) (PDF)
- Welcome to CalPERS: A Benefits Guide for Public Agency Members (PUB 5) (PDF)
Our Welcome to CalPERS publications were created with new members in mind, but the information serves as a helpful refresher no matter what your age or where you are in your career.
The new publications were designed for ease of use, whether you view them online, on your mobile phone, or read the print version. And we answered your most frequently asked questions because we wrote the publications using data from our member call center and website searches.
Highlights of the publications include:
- Quick overview of the CalPERS plan, and how your pension is calculated
- Simple explanations of complex topics, like service credit and benefit factors
- Flowcharts to guide you through pre-retirement death benefits
- Frequently asked questions on topics like reciprocity, refunds, and community property
- Links to our online resources, including our benefit factor charts and myCalPERS
- New Member Checklist to kick-start your retirement planning
It’s never too early to explore your pension benefits and plan for your retirement. Download your Welcome to CalPERS publication today, and share it with your family, friends, and colleagues—anyone who wants to learn what it means to be a CalPERS member.
You can find all of our publications and other resources on our website under Forms & Publications.