Retirement Benefits

Retiring Soon? Here’s What You Need to Know

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! While it’s an exciting time, you may have some remaining questions. Check out frequently asked questions from soon-to-be retirees.

Can I work after I retire?

Yes, you can work after retirement, however, you cannot be employed by a CalPERS employer for a period of 180 days after your retirement date without reinstating from retirement, except under certain conditions. Contact your employer for the exceptions. The 180-day waiting period applies without exception if you receive a Golden Handshake or any other employer incentive to retire. Be sure to review our Employment After Retirement publication (PDF) for specific guidelines and restrictions.

When will I get my first retirement check?

This depends on your retirement date and when your final documents are received and processed by CalPERS. In most cases, you’ll receive your first check in the first part of the month after you have retired. For example, if your retirement date were September 4, your first check would be paid to you in the first week of October. However, each case is different. Please contact us if you would like to know exactly when your first check will be sent.

How often will I be paid when I retire?

You will receive a single check at the beginning of each month for the previous month’s benefits. The State Controller’s Office issues the checks and determines the mailing dates.  For tax purposes, your December check is always dated the first day of the new year. View pay days.

Can I find out in advance what amount I’ll receive on my check or direct deposit transfer?

You can view your most current month’s retirement check online using myCalPERS. You can also view previous retirement or benefit check statements going back five years.

How do I change my address after I retire?

Once you’re retired you can log in to myCalPERS to change your address. You can also contact us by phone or in writing, or you can download the Member Change of Address form (PDF) and fax or mail it to us.