Learning how to access, manage, and understand your CalPERS retirement benefits is a vital part of a successful retirement plan.
1. Register for myCalPERS
Stop! Before you do anything else, the first step any CalPERS member should take is to register for their myCalPERS account. It’s your gateway to conduct business with us electronically.
Visit Using myCalPERS for step-by-step instructions on how to register for your account and get secure, confidential, 24/7 access to:
- View your personal account information, such as service credit, health plan statements, member contributions, and more
- Create a retirement estimate
- Choose your beneficiaries
- Make an appointment or sign up for a retirement education class
- Download member publications
- Send us questions through our secure message center
2. Visit Our New CalPERS Members Webpage
If you’ve just joined CalPERS membership, visit New CalPERS Member to get the resources you need as a new member. There you’ll find out about your benefits, forms to complete, and other savings plans available to you.
3. Enroll in Our Free “Your CalPERS and You” Class
Get a basic understanding of your CalPERS benefits. Learn about:
- How your retirement benefit is calculated
- How to set aside money for retirement in addition to your pension
- What happens if you pass away or leave your employer before you retire
- The importance of having a power of attorney on file
- What you can find and do in your myCalPERS account, and more
To enroll, log in to myCalPERS and select the Education tab.
4. Access These Informational Videos
We’ve curated a list of some of the most valuable videos for new CalPERS members.
Learn about everything from understanding your benefits to choosing a health plan in this series of short videos.
Get the facts on Social Security, tax-deferred savings, health care costs, and more in this series that will help you prepare for retirement.
Purchasing service credit can increase your retirement income. In this webinar, learn about the different types of service credit purchases that may be available to you.
Discover the many features in your myCalPERS account. In this webinar, learn how to enroll in classes, create retirement estimates, purchase service credit, apply for retirement, and much more.
In this webinar, learn about the three factors used to calculate your retirement and how an increase in one or more of these factors may maximize your retirement benefits.
5. Subscribe and Follow Us
Stay informed of upcoming CalPERS webcasts, instructor-led classes, and CalPERS Benefits Education Events by subscribing to our Member Education Bulletin and following us on social media.