2021 Open Enrollment Starts September 20 and Ends October 15
Open Enrollment is your time to enroll in or change health plans, add eligible dependents, or delete dependents. Whether you plan to make a change or not, it’s a good time to review your current health coverage and discover your options.
Where to Start
- Log in to your myCalPERS account to access Open Enrollment information and resources. View your Health Plan Statement, which lists your 2021 premium and 2022 premium should you remain with the same health plan, plus a wealth of other customized information.
- Use the Search Health Plans tool to explore available health plans based on your eligibility ZIP code, search for your doctor or specialist, review side-by-side benefit costs, and view member satisfaction ratings. Medicare members will need to contact the plans or their doctors directly for availability.
- Visit the Plans & Rates page of the CalPERS website where you can compare 2022 health plan options and premiums, find Evidence of Coverage and Summary of Benefits publications, access plan websites, and research networks of doctors and covered services.
- View our quick tip video on Navigating Open Enrollment and our brief demonstration on where to find your Open Enrollment information in myCalPERS.
- Review Your Guide to Choosing a Health Plan. While CalPERS provides a variety of health plans, only you can decide which one best fits your specific situation. There are many resources available to help in your research.
To Make Changes
We’ve made Open Enrollment for Active Members easier. To make changes, use myCalPERS to complete your prepopulated Health Benefits Plan Enrollment for Active Employees (HBD-12) form. We allow electronic signatures on the health enrollment forms you submit to your employer. You can also contact your employer’s personnel specialist or health benefits officer for the required forms and documentation to make changes.
Retirees can change health plans, add, or delete dependents online in myCalPERS. You may also mail your request to CalPERS’ Health Account Management Division at P.O. Box 942715, Sacramento, CA 94229-2715, or call us toll-free at 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377).
If you want to remain with your current health plan, you don’t need to take any action.
Additional Information for State & CSU Employees and Retirees
The Open Enrollment period for State of California and California State University (CSU) dental and vision plans starts September 20 and ends October 15, 2021.
To enroll or make changes to State of California dental and vision plans, use the following methods:
|State of California||Dental||Vision*|
|Active Employees||Contact your department’s personnel office||Contact VSP at stateofcaemployee.vspforme.com or call (800) 877-7195|
|Retirees||Contact us at 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377)||Contact VSP at stateofcaretiree.vspforme.com or call (800) 877-7195|
*VSP Open Enrollment materials will be mailed directly to you prior to Open Enrollment.
CSU Employees and Retirees
The Office of the Chancellor administers the dental and vision programs for CSU active employees and retirees. For additional information about these benefits, contact your campus benefits office. CSU retirees should visit csuretirees.calstate.edu for plan information.
To enroll or make changes to your CSU-sponsored dental and vision plans, use the following methods:
|Active Employees||Contact your campus benefits office or human resources department||Contact VSP at csuactives.vspforme.com or call (800) 877-7195|
|Retirees||Contact us at 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377)||Contact VSP at csuretirees.vspforme.com or call (800) 400-4569|