At CalPERS, we strive to make our members’ lives easier. In fact, one of our Strategic Plan (PDF) goals is to reduce complexity, which includes improving services across our organization.
With that in mind, we polled our call center representatives to learn the top-five requests they get from members via phone that could be just as easily handled online.
1. Service Credit Transactions
Purchasing service credit can help you boost your pension payments, and we understand you want to make sure you’re completing all the necessary documentation.
Here’s a brief rundown of the questions most frequently posed to our representatives, and where you can find the answers online:
- Am I eligible to purchase service credit? If so, how do I apply? Everything you need to know is available on our website.
- What’s my balance due or number of payments left until my purchase is completed? Find that information by logging in to your my|CalPERS account.
- How much will service credit cost me? Our online Service Credit Cost Estimator will help you find the answer.
2. Updates to Tax Withholding
It’s not uncommon for your tax situation to change from one year to the next. One of the most common adjustments our retirees call about is regarding their withholding amounts. Well, you don’t need to call one of our representatives to get this taken care of. You have two options for updating your tax withholding quickly online:
- Simply log in to your my|CalPERS account and select Tax Withholdings on the Home tab.
- Download and print the Tax Withholding Election (PDF) form from our website. Once you’ve filled out the form, mail it to us. Once you’ve filled out the form, mail it to us. Visit our website for more information and resources related to changing your tax withholding.
3. Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA)
We understand stretching a retirement check is a top priority, so many of our retirees have questions about the cost-of-living adjustment (COLA). Whether or not a COLA will be provided in a given year is announced each spring. When awarded, it begins appearing on retirees’ May 1 warrant. Details about how the COLA is determined, and which retirees are eligible, are available on the COLA page of our website.
4. Copies of Statements and 1099-R Forms
Keeping track of important documents is a seemingly endless task, and the fact is that misplacing something is inevitable. The great news is that copies of many of your CalPERS documents can easily be requested online. Missing an Annual Member Statement (AMS) or 1099-R? You can review and print your AMS or request a duplicate 1099-R form by logging in to your my|CalPERS account.
5. Verification Letters
Looking for an Income Verification or Verification of Deposit Letter? This is another item that can be easily ordered by logging in to your my|CalPERS account. From the homepage, simply select Request a Letter and follow the prompts. You can request and print your letter immediately.
We’re Here for You When You Need Us!
Although many services are offered online, our representatives are always happy to assist you and answer your questions, so please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our CalPERS Customer Contact Center is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. All offices are closed on state holidays. Additionally, get answers on your own time by sending us a message through my|CalPERS.