At CalPERS, we strive to make our members’ lives easier. With that in mind, here are the top 5 requests you can handle online to save you time.
1. Service Credit Transactions
Purchasing service credit can help you boost your pension payments, and we understand you want to make sure you’re completing all the necessary documentation.
Now the process is entirely paperless, which makes purchasing service credit quicker. Here are some of our top questions with answers that we get about purchasing service credit:
- Am I eligible to purchase service credit? If so, how do I apply? Everything you need to know is available on our website.
- What’s my balance due or number of payments left until my purchase is completed? Find that information by logging in to your myCalPERS account.
- How much will service credit cost me? Our online Service Credit Cost Estimator will help you find the answer.
We also have a quick service credit handout (PDF) with more information to understand the purchase process.
2. Updates to Tax Withholding
It’s not uncommon for your tax situation to change from one year to the next. One of the most common adjustments our retirees call about is regarding their withholding amounts.
Well, you don’t need to call one of our representatives to get this taken care of. You have two options for updating your tax withholding quickly online:
- Simply log in to your myCalPERS account and select Tax Withholding on the Retirement dropdown options. We also have a tax withholding factsheet (PDF) with step-by-step directions on how to complete this process.
- Download and print the Tax Withholding Election (PDF) form from our website. Once you’ve filled out the form, mail it to us.
Visit our website for more information and resources related to changing your tax withholding.
3. Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA)
We understand stretching a retirement check is a top priority, so many of our retirees have questions about the cost-of-living adjustment (COLA). Whether or not a COLA will be provided in a given year is announced each spring. When awarded, it begins appearing on retirees’ May 1 warrant.
Details about how the COLA is determined, and which retirees are eligible, are available on the COLA page of our website.
4. Copies of Annual Statements and 1099-R Forms
Keeping track of important documents is a seemingly endless task, and the fact is that misplacing something is inevitable. The great news is that copies of many of your CalPERS documents can easily be requested online.
5. Proof of Retirement Contributions Letter
Looking for verification of assets or documentation of your CalPERS retirement contributions? This is another item that can be easily ordered by logging in to your myCalPERS account.
From the homepage, simply select Statements and then select Request a Document and then follow the prompts. Your letter will be sent via mail to the recipient(s) you indicated within two business days.
We’re Here for You When You Need Us!
Although many services are offered online, our representatives are always happy to assist you and answer your questions, so please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Our CalPERS Customer Contact Center is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. All offices are closed on state holidays. Additionally, get answers on your own time by sending us a secure message through myCalPERS.