National Preparedness Month, recognized every September and sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), provides an opportunity to remind us that we must prepare ourselves now and, really, all year long for possible emergency situations. Are you prepared if disaster strikes?
Prepare to Protect
This year’s theme is “Prepare to Protect. Preparing for disasters is protecting everyone you love.” Although emergency situations may be out of your control, you can still take measures to increase the chances of survival for yourself and others. Simply be engaged and get started.
- Be informed about the different emergencies that could occur and the appropriate protective actions.
- Build a family emergency plan, including information on how to reunite.
- Build emergency supply kits for your home, work, and car.
- Take time to learn lifesaving skills such as CPR and first aid.
- Check your insurance policies and coverage for the hazards you may face, such as floods, earthquakes, and fires.
- Consider the costs associated with disasters and save for an emergency.
- Create a Disaster Preparedness Plan for yourself, your family, and in partnership with your neighbors.
- Get involved with community preparedness support groups such as the local chapter of the American Red Cross.
- Read our article “When Disaster Strikes” for resources to help you access your CalPERS-covered health care and benefits during an emergency.