If you are (or are considering) becoming a CalPERS retired annuitant, it is important to know that all retired annuitant positions are limited to a maximum of 960 hours worked in a fiscal year (July 1 through June 30).
You can now use myCalPERS to view the number of hours you have worked in a fiscal year and the last pay period reported by your employer.
The hours and pay period displayed on your account is based on your employer’s latest reported payroll to CalPERS. If you believe any reported information is incorrect, you will need to follow up with your employer to make corrections. We recommend you keep track of your hours as retirees and employers share equal responsibility in ensuring your employment complies with retirement law.
Guidelines to Remember
In addition to the 960-hour limit, there are some key guidelines to remember when working after retirement. All retired annuitant appointments must comply with the following:
- A 60-day bona fide separation in service is required when an employee retires before the normal retirement age.
- A 180-day wait time between retirement date and return date is required (exceptions apply).
- Your salary must be within the posted salary range.
- No additional special compensation benefits are allowed.
- The appointment must be for a limited duration.
For more information on the rules and restrictions of retired annuitant appointments, review A Guide to CalPERS Employment After Retirement (PUB 33) (PDF).