Retirement Benefits

Requesting Proof of Retirement Contributions in myCalPERS

Couple using digital tablet in kitchen

If you’re looking for a quick and efficient way to receive a verification of assets or documentation of your CalPERS retirement contributions without waiting for a response, we’ve got great news! You can now request a mailed letter that shows the amount of your retirement contributions on deposit that is called a Verification of Deposit (VOD) letter by logging in to your myCalPERS account.

VOD letters are correspondence CalPERS can send to you, a landlord, or lender to assess your financial situation for various purposes, such as to receive a loan or lease, purchase a home, or remain in your home. These letters provide the recipient your total CalPERS retirement contributions along with your CalPERS membership date.

Steps to Request a VOD Letter in myCalPERS:

  1. Log in to your myCalPERS account and select the Statements tab at the top.
  2. Select Request a Document where you can then select to request a VOD letter.
  3. Enter information for each recipient or organization/business you choose to send a VOD letter.
  4. Verify the address(es) where you would like it to be sent and submit the request.

The letter will be sent via mail to the recipient(s) you indicated within two business days. You may also view previous VOD requests or request an updated VOD letter be sent in your account.

Save Time—Request Your Letter Online

We encourage you to use your myCalPERS account to quickly fulfill your VOD letter requests. Instead of calling us, use this online option to avoid potential CalPERS Contact Center wait times and minimize processing delays.

Important Note About Your Contributions

While VOD letters can verify your retirement contributions on account, keep in mind that you can’t cash out your pension or take a loan against your future pension benefit while you are still working for a CalPERS-covered employer. You may also be restricted from refunding if you establish reciprocity with a qualifying retirement system. If you leave your CalPERS-covered employer, then you can request a refund of your employee contributions, but that terminates your membership and you’re no longer eligible to receive a pension.

If you have questions about your CalPERS retirement benefits or VOD letter, call us at 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377).