“Ethics and compliance” is a term woven into our everyday culture and into all aspects of CalPERS’ business. Living our values and adhering to a high ethical standard is what protects you and your personal information. Whether engaging with us as an active member, retiree, or employer—cultivating trust and goodwill helps us embody our vision and mission.
Our multi-layered approach protects you in several important ways:
- We limit access to your confidential information to those who need it for a legitimate purpose, whether it’s your medical or pension benefit information.
- We guard against letting conflicts of interest impact our decision-making about your benefits. For example, we prohibit public officials from participating in government decisions if they have a financial conflict of interest, and we require all CalPERS team members and executives to complete ethics training each year.
- We protect our business by educating our employees on how to prevent incompatible activities. This helps us devote our full-time attention to our business, which allows us to serve you when you have questions about your benefits in an efficient and timely manner.
So, what can you do if you have a concern?
To help ensure our workplace maintains these standards, we created the CalPERS Ethics Helpline.
The helpline provides a means to report possible unethical behavior 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to an independent third party. You may submit information either online or by phone, and your report will be treated confidentially.
Potential concerns might be related to:
- Conflict of interest
- Improper business activity
- Retirement benefits abuse
- Safety violations
- Sexual harassment allegations
- Unethical conduct
How to Make a Report
You can make a secure, confidential online report to EthicsPoint, Inc., or call (866) 513-4216 or TTY (866) 294-9572 toll free.
After submitting your report, EthicsPoint team members will forward the report to us. It will then be evaluated, and follow-up action is taken when appropriate.
For disability fraud concerns, call us at (888) 330-5770.
CalPERS is committed to the highest ethical standards, and we continue to grow our culture of integrity as part of our commitment to doing the right thing for our members.