What is the CalPERS Board of Administration?
The Board of Administration is the governing body of the System. It’s responsible for the management and control of CalPERS, including the administration and investment activities for the Public Employees’ Retirement Fund; the Public Employees’ Health Care Fund; the California Employers’ Retiree Benefit Trust Fund; and the Public Employees’ Long-Term Care Fund.
How are board members chosen?
Thirteen members are either elected, appointed, or hold office by virtue of their position with the State of California (“ex officio”).
What are the board members’ responsibilities?
Board members serve on committees that review specific programs or issues. They provide guidance, make recommendations, conduct hearings, and vote on significant matters. They set employer contribution rates, determine CalPERS’ investment strategy, and monitor the financial condition of the System. One thing people may not realize is that the board cannot add, change, or delete benefits without the approval of the California Legislature.
When does the board meet?
Dates for meetings can be found on our Board Meetings Calendar page. Meeting notices are available 10 days in advance on our website, where you can also find agendas and agenda items for past meetings.
Who determines what is on the agendas?
Committee chairs consult with CalPERS executives and senior leaders to determine what issues need board attention or action.
Can I attend a board meeting?
Not in person right now. In accordance with state mandates and social distancing measures put in place throughout California, board meetings are conducted via videoconference and made available online. You can view the live webcast of open session agenda items on our website and look for videos of past meetings on our YouTube channel. Closed sessions, which are not open to the public, are indicated on the agendas.
How can I speak before the board?
The online board meetings are open to the public and comments are welcome. Comments can be submitted via telephone by calling (800) 259-4105.
The CalPERS Board is made up of 13 members:
Six Elected Members
- Two elected by and from all CalPERS members
- One elected by and from all active state members
- One elected by and from all active CalPERS school members
- One elected by and from all active CalPERS public agency members (employed by contracting public agencies)
- One elected by and from retired CalPERS members
Three Appointed Members
- Two appointed by the Governor: an elected official of a local government and an official of a life insurer
- One public representative appointed jointly by the Speaker of the Assembly and the Senate Rules Committee
Four Ex Officio Members
- The State Treasurer
- The State Controller
- The Director of the California Department of Human Resources
- A designee of the State Personnel Board