After the close of each fiscal year, we release our annual “Facts at a Glance” to provide a wide range of specific information that serves our members as a helpful resource.
Here are some facts about our investments and pension funding:
- Our earnings for fiscal year (FY) 2017-18 were above our 7 percent goal with an 8.6 percent net return on investments.
- Our net position increased by nearly $28 billion and stood at nearly $354 billion as of June 30, 2018, compared with $326 billion from the previous fiscal year.
- We paid $22.9 billion in benefits to more than 694,000 retirees and beneficiaries, a $1.5 billion increase from the previous fiscal year.
- In FY 2017-18, we invested more than $33.6 billion in California-based companies and projects, which is nearly 10 percent of our portfolio.
- We actively engaged with companies we own to protect the long-term sustainability of our investments. In 2018, we cast nearly 11,000 proxy votes at companies worldwide.
- Our funding status estimate increased nearly 3 percentage points from 68 percent in FY 2016-17 to 71 percent in FY 2017-18. These estimates are based on a 7 percent discount rate.
Learn more about CalPERS investments by viewing Facts at a Glance: Investment & Pension Funding (PDF). You can also read our last post, 5 Fast Facts About CalPERS Pensions.