After the close of each fiscal year, we release our annual “Facts at a Glance” to provide a wide range of specific information that serves our members as a helpful resource.
Here are some facts about our health benefits program that benefit you:
- CalPERS is the largest public employer purchaser of health benefits in California, and the second largest employer purchaser in the nation (after the federal government). We spent $9.2 billion in health benefits for nearly 1.5 million total covered lives in FY 2017-18.
- Out of the 1.5 million total covered lives, 59 percent are state members, 27 percent are public agency members, and 14 percent are school members in FY 2017-18 .
- Nearly 1,200 employers contract with us for health benefits, while we have more than 2,800 employers that contract for retirement benefits.
- In FY 2017-18, we added 12 medical procedures to the Value-Based Purchasing Design program for self-funded PPO Basic plans, with projected $2.04 million in savings the first year of the program.
- Over the past 10 years (2008-2017), total enrollment in CalPERS health plans has increased by 14 percent.
- The top drivers of CalPERS’ health plan premium costs are population age, gender, geographic location, chronic conditions, and hospital and pharmaceutical use, as of plan year 2017.
- The CalPERS population on average is older and has a higher prevalence of chronic conditions when compared to other insured populations as of plan year 2017.
Learn more about CalPERS health benefits by reading Facts at a Glance on Health Benefits (PDF). You can also read our last post, Fast Facts to Know About CalPERS Investment and Pension Funding.