- Our earnings for FY 2018-19 were just shy of our 7% target, with a 6.7% net return on investments.
- Our net position increased by $18.6 billion and stood at $372.6 billion as of June 30, 2019, compared to $354 billion from the previous fiscal year.
- We paid $24.2 billion in benefits to more than 712,000 retirees and beneficiaries, a $1.6 billion increase from the previous fiscal year.
- We invest in California. In FY 2018-19, we invested more than $33.9 billion in California-based companies and projects, which is more than 9% of our portfolio.
- We actively engaged with companies we own to protect the long-term sustainability of our investments. In 2018, we cast more than 11,000 proxy votes at companies worldwide.
- We are an estimated 71% funded, which is an increase compared to 69.8% from the previous fiscal year. These estimates are based on a 7% discount rate.
Learn more about CalPERS’ investments by reading Facts at a Glance Investment & Pension Funding (PDF). You can also read our Facts at a Glance on Pension & Retirement, Health Benefits, and About CalPERS.