Today we’re sharing the second post in a series of Fast Facts for CalPERS members.
We release our annual Facts at a Glance reports each fiscal year to provide members, stakeholders, and the public with a wide range of data and information about the state of the pension system.
Here are some important facts about our investments and pension funding:
- Our fiscal year investment net return was -6.1% for FY 2021-22, which was driven primarily by the downturn of the public markets that account for 79% of CalPERS’ total fund.
- Our net position stood at $439.4 billion as of June 30, 2022.
- We paid $29.1 billion in benefits to more than 775,000 retirees and beneficiaries, a $1.7 billion or 6.2% increase from the previous fiscal year.
- We invest in California. In FY 2021-22, we invested $53.7 billion in California-based companies and projects, which is more than 12% of our portfolio.
- We actively engaged with companies we own to protect the long-term sustainability of our investments. In 2022, we cast approximately 8,500 proxy votes at companies worldwide.
- We’re an estimated 81.2% funded as of June 30, 2021. Our estimated funded status for June 30, 2022, is 72%. This is a measure of the fund’s financial status when comparing the assets to the liabilities.
Learn more about CalPERS’ investments by reading Facts at a Glance Investment & Pension Funding (PDF). You can also read our Facts at a Glance on Pension & Retirement (PDF), Health Benefits (PDF), and About CalPERS (PDF).