Retirement Benefits

Changing Retirement Systems? You Can Now Request Reciprocity Online

Portrait of a businesswoman working on a computer in an office

If you would like to make a request to establish reciprocity, you can now submit your request simply by logging in to your myCalPERS account and navigating to the reciprocity section, under Retirement Summary. If you submit a request online you will also be able to view your request status in myCalPERS and know when the determination is complete.

What You Need to Know About Reciprocity

Reciprocity is an agreement among California public retirement systems allowing you to move from one qualified public retirement system to another qualified public retirement system (within a six-month period and no overlap in service) without losing valuable retirement and related benefit rights.

Since CalPERS has reciprocal agreements with several other public retirement systems, you may be eligible to take advantage of reciprocity benefits. This is important if you are considering changing retirement systems. If you are, be sure to talk to both retirement systems about the advantages and disadvantages of leaving one retirement system for another.

Protect Your Rights

There are certain conditions and paperwork you must satisfy in order to receive the benefits of reciprocity. Visit our website and refer to our publication When You Change Retirement Systems (PUB 16) (PDF) for more information on reciprocity.

If you have questions about your CalPERS retirement benefits, call us at 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377). Questions about rights, benefits, and obligations under any other public retirement system should be addressed directly to that system.