Each year around the holidays, we release our Comprehensive Annual Financial Report—affectionately called the “CAFR” around CalPERS. It is a detailed summary of CalPERS’ financial standing through the fiscal year ending June 30, 2020.
The CAFR by the Numbers
- $392.5 billion: That is our net assets (also known as the net position) figure for the fiscal year for the Public Employees’ Retirement Fund, an increase of more than $19.8 billion compared to the previous fiscal year.
- 4.7%: This is our fiscal year investment net return in the Public Employees’ Retirement Fund. This is the eleventh consecutive year of positive returns.
- 2,890: This is the number of employers we contract with for pension benefits.
- 2,052,082: All of us—the total number of CalPERS members in the Public Employees’ Retirement Fund .
- 1,512,771: Members and their families covered in the CalPERS health program.
- $25.8 billion: Benefits paid out to more than 732,000 retirees and beneficiaries. This is an increase of approximately $1.6 billion or 6.5% from the previous fiscal year.
The full 2019-20 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (PDF) is available online for your reading pleasure.