It is a detailed summary of CalPERS’ financial standing through the fiscal year ending June 30, 2018.
The CAFR by the Numbers
- $354 billion: That is our net assets (also known as the net position) figure for the fiscal year for the Public Employees’ Retirement Fund, an increase of nearly $28 billion compared to the previous fiscal year.
- 8.6 percent: This is our fiscal year investment net return in the Public Employees’ Retirement Fund. This is the ninth consecutive year of positive returns.
- 2,892: This is the number of employers we contract with for pension benefits.
- 1,958,888: All of us—the total number of CalPERS members.
- 1,462,260: Members and their families covered in the CalPERS health program.
- $22.9 billion: Benefits paid out to 694,570 retirees and beneficiaries. This is an increase of approximately $1.5 billion from the previous fiscal year.
The full 2017-18 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (PDF) is available online for your reading pleasure. You can also find our Public Agency Valuation Reports in Forms & Publications on the CalPERS website.