Here are some quick facts to know about the ACFR by the numbers:
- $477.3 billion: That is our net assets (also known as the net position) figure for the fiscal year for the Public Employees’ Retirement Fund (PERF), an increase of more than $84 billion compared to the previous fiscal year.
- 21.3%: This is our fiscal year investment net return for the PERF. This is the twelfth consecutive year of positive returns.
- 2,892: This is the number of employers we contract with for pension benefits.
- 2,077,295: All of us—the total number of benefit recipients and members (PERF).
- 1,530,934: Members and their families covered in the CalPERS health program.
- $27.4 billion: Benefits paid out to more than 750,000 retirees and beneficiaries. This is an increase of approximately $1.6 billion or 6.3% from the previous fiscal year (PERF).
The full FY 2020-21 Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (PDF) is available online for further reading.